How Rooftop Solar Panels Can Save Your Money?
Human beings have depleted the resources of the Earth, that took millions of years to form in just a few years of their existence on Earth. As the non-renewable resources have come to near extinction, human beings have turned towards the renewable sources of energy, to supplement their various needs and wants. Solar energy is the most reliable form of non-renewable energy. It is easily available and easier to harness than the other known sources of renewable energy.
Solar Cells and Solar Panels
Solar cells are photovoltaic cells that convert light energy (specifically from the sun) into electrical energy by the photovoltaic effect. The main component of solar cells is silicon crystals. When light falls on these crystals, the photovoltaic effect is observed, and electricity is generated (DC). The generated electricity can either be used directly or stored in cells for future use.
Solar Panel is a series of solar cells arranged in a particular pattern. The solar cells are connected to each other by silver.
Rooftop Solar Panels
As the name suggests, Rooftop solar panels are installed on the roofs of houses or buildings. With the increased use of solar panels for commercial and domestic use, solar rooftops are getting more and more popularized.
There are three types of solar rooftops:-
Pros and Cons of rooftop solar panels
Everything has its pros and cons, so do solar rooftops despite their many utilities. Here’s a list of pros and cons of solar panels or solar rooftops:
- Pollution – free – Combustion is not involved. Thus, no harmful pollutants are ejected into the atmosphere during electricity generation.
- The higher capacity of production – Solar panels are highly efficient. They are able to generate a large amount of electrical energy by converting a little amount of solar energy.
- Space efficient – Panels with higher generating efficiency will require less space than the space required by panels with low generating capacity.
- Support many appliances – The electricity generating from the solar panels can be used to run many appliances like TV, refrigerator, air conditioner, etc.
- Expensive – Solar panels are very expensive. It’s not the solar cells that are expensive, it’s the material used to connect the solar cells to make a solar panel, that is, silver. Silver cannot be replaced because it has the highest electrical conductivity.
- Energy storage is difficult – The process of harnessing and converting solar energy is easy but, storing the electricity generated is difficult.
- Uncertainty during unfavorable weather – During windy, rainy or other such weather’s when sunlight is not sufficient, energy production is drastically affected.
- Need a lot of space – To power an entire household, the surface area of the solar panel has to be large. Due to this, the solar panel occupies a lot of space on the rooftop.
Rooftop solar panels may pose some complications but their advantages far outnumber their disadvantages. A rooftop solar panel can be used to power a household and supply all its electrical demands. There are no bills and extra expenses. One just needs to maintain the quality of the solar panels and ensure that they don’t damage anyhow. Thus, in the long run, rooftop solar panels are more cost-efficient than being obliged to pay the electricity bills regularly.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.